We are on the hunt for a creative and innovative fashion student to join our in-house team of bespoke uniform designers.
Do you know how to bring clothing to life? Or can you predict next season’s hottest trends? If so, perhaps you could be our Design Challenge champion! We are offering a one-off opportunity to win a 3 month internship with Jermyn Street Design and a £1000 cash prize in our first ever design competition. To enter, take a look at the information below and make sure you get your entries to us before Friday 1st April 2016, 5pm.
A little bit about us…
Having designed and manufactured bespoke uniforms for 35 years, we have produced award winning clothing and worked with a plethora of global clients, including Eurostar, Guinness World Records, Dior and Gucci Beauty. ‘One style fits all’ is not for us, we pride ourselves on creating exclusive, elegant and fit for purpose uniforms, which is why we need the best possible design team behind us.
To allow you more artistic freedom, we have created a fictitious client for the competition so please include your own branding ideas.
VIP World Flyers are a new luxury airline that specialise in flights for celebrities and VIP’s around the world. With only First class and Business class seat service available, VIP World Flyers ensure clients enjoy a 5* experience on every flight. The airline also provides full concierge and chauffeur services so clients can reach their final destination in style.
VIP World flyers require a new brand image and a bespoke uniform wardrobe for their cabin crew staff (not including pilots) that reflects the high level of service they provide.
The uniform should be influenced by future trends in the airline industry and take into account the everyday activities of staff and the climates they travel to, therefore they should be easy to move in, comfortable and easy to care for.
What You Need to Submit
1. Your C.V.
2. A design rationale – a written vision and overview of your new range items, fabrics and why this meets the design brief
3. Colour boards
4. Inspiration / Trend boards – the basis for your new range designs
5. Designs for ladies and men cabin crew, to include designs for jackets, waistcoats, shirts, skirts and trousers, a dress, coat, and hat
6. Proposed idea for fabrics – swatches if possible to bring the uniforms to life
7. Any other innovative technologies / branding ideas you believe will make your designs stand out
What We Are Looking For
• Innovative ideas
• Evidence of your creative thought process
• Realistic ideas, that are likely to be commissioned
• Designs that show understanding of the staff and their role, they must be practical and wearable as well as stylish
• Sound understanding and interpretation of the design brief
• The winner will join our experienced and talented design team at our headquarters in Hammersmith, London, (UK travel expenses will be provided) for 3 months, starting in June. (Actual start date is negotiable)
• Our Design Challenge champion will also receive a cash prize of £1000 at the end of their placement.
• Working hours will be: Monday-Friday, 9am- 5pm.
• Duties will include, but won’t be limited to, working with the design team to create inspiration and colour boards, trend research, sourcing fabrics, following samples through the development process and will have the opportunity to work with other teams within JSD to follow the commercial process.
How to Enter
To enter the competition, please email your entry to firstname.lastname@example.org and send a hard copy (any size) to:
Jermyn Street Design
34 Galena Road
Please send your hard copy to us at least 5 days before the closing date – Friday 1st April 2016, to ensure it arrives on time.
We wish the best of luck to all entrants and we are very excited to see what amazing ideas are put forward! If you have any questions about the Design Challenge, please leave a comment below and we will get back to you.
Terms and Conditions
• Entrants should be over 18, eligible to work in the UK and currently studying for a relevant degree in fashion or textiles
• The winner shall receive a cash prize of £1000, which will be paid to them at the end of the placement
• The winner must be available to work in the Jermyn Street Design offices for 3 months, beginning in June 2016
• Aside from the cash prize, the placement is unpaid and the winner is responsible for their own accommodation costs, however we will pay reasonable travel expenses within the UK
• Only entries submitted before 01/04/2016, 5:00pm will be considered. No responsibility can be accepted for entries that are lost or delayed, or which are not received for any reason
• The winner will be contacted by 18/04/2016 5:00pm
• Copyright of entries belongs to Jermyn Street Design and scripts will not be returned. By entering the competition the finalists agree to participate in such promotional activity and material, as Jermyn Street Design may reasonably require
• Jermyn Street Design’s decision is final